Faith communities have a pivotal role to play in bringing about the transformation that we need to address climate change. How can we build a powerful interfaith climate justice movement capable of bringing about social transformation through advocating for climate, racial and economic justice?
The purpose of Be the Spark training is to offer a compelling leadership model that can be implemented by Ohio IPL as an organization and can be a key service to members who are seeking to activate their own faith communities.
What is Be the Spark?
Change happens through organizing. Organizing builds a container of community identity, motivation, relationship and accountability that can lead to the sustained implementation of solutions in widening circles of faith communities. Be the Spark provides the leadership development training and deeper organizational and relational involvement that organizing requires.
In 2018, Ohio IPL will be implementing workshops and opportunities to be involved in Be the Spark. Our first workshop was held in December, 2017. A retreat for leaders from around Ohio was held in March, 2018. We look forward to expanding the circle and continuing the Be the Spark initiative.
- Diocese of Southern Ohio-Episcopal Church
- Methodist Theological School in Ohio
- Puffin Foundation West Ltd.
- Ohio Conference of the United Church of Christ
- Columbus Mennonite Fellowship
- Earth Justice Network of Southeast Ohio
- Interfaith Power & Light Challenge Grant
- SC Ministry Foundation
- UCC Environmental Ministries-Climate Justice Coalition
- Unitarian Universalist Justice Ohio Inc.
- The Rev. Deborah Conklin