Ohio Interfaith Power & Light seeks to unite the voices of people of diverse beliefs throughout Ohio in a spiritually-inspired and active response to climate change. Concerned about the interdependent systems of discrimination and the disproportionate impacts of climate disruption on frontline communities, we act to facilitate deeper connections, reduce carbon impacts, advocate for strong policy, and empower leadership to work together for a more just and sustainable world. (Mission, Vision, Values)
Ohio Interfaith Power & Light (Ohio IPL) seeks a dynamic individual to serve as its Environmental Justice (EJ) Engagement Coordinator. The EJ Engagement Coordinator will oversee development of regional justice engagement efforts to implement the Ohio IPL US Climate Action Network (USCAN) program.* The EJ Coordinator will involve the Ohio IPL board, contractors, and volunteers, and assist Ohio IPL in fulfilling its mission and living into its vision and by its values. Ohio IPL is one of nearly 40 state affiliates of Interfaith Power & Light.
Building upon Ohio IPL’s successes over the past 11 years in energy conservation programs, development of spiritual resources, educational outreach, and advocacy, the EJ Engagement Coordinator will be the point person for the USCAN project working with other Ohio IPL contractors and volunteers. The Coordinator will provide general project oversight, work with other Ohio IPL contractors and volunteers assisting with the project, and be responsible for general planning, oversight, subcontracts and reporting commitments, and help to assure meeting program goals.
● Participate in Ohio IPL organizational events and meetings
● Oversee development of regional Justice Engagement efforts to implement USCAN program* involving Ohio IPL board, contractors, and volunteers
● Assure meeting project goals, oversight and reporting commitments
● Develop new partnerships within regions to support Action Team efforts in the areas of food justice, energy justice, and land and water justice
● Oversee development of grassroots organizing and movement building through provision of annual Be The Spark (BTS) Train the Trainer sessions in Ohio
● Identify and develop new partnerships with faith communities within regions for all Ohio IPL programming (educational, stewardship, organizing, advocacy, etc.)
● Conduct climate conversations and assist in regional outreach and movement building
● Develop rapid response advocacy capabilities within regions and follow advocacy priorities
● Speak on behalf of Ohio IPL
● Represent Ohio IPL on USCAN building grassroots organizing team/and USCAN meetings in support of the project
We seek candidates who have an active faith commitment to protect people and planet from climate disruption, who seek to promote justice for all of God’s creation, and who will foster the diversity of our work. Experience with non-profit organizations, diverse faith communities, climate change and sustainable energy, environmental justice, project development and oversight, training, movement building and organizing, and advocacy are all important. We understand that some excellent candidates might need to learn on the job about one or more of these areas.
Job Specific Competencies
Excellent written and oral communication skills are critical.
Ability to represent Ohio IPL with confidence and sensitivity to a variety of audiences (all ages and backgrounds) and in varying situations.
Familiarity with social media, Google Docs, Word, Excel required.
Experience with WordPress, Salsa, and other web design and CRM programs desired but not required.
Must be an Ohio resident; preferred location is central Ohio and Columbus area, but this is flexible. Travel is required for this position. Must have reliable transportation and Driver’s License. Mileage expenses will be reimbursed based upon federal reimbursement guidelines for nonprofits. Some out of state travel will be required at times.
Hours and Compensation
The Environmental Justice Engagement Coordinator will report to the Executive Director of Ohio IPL. The position will begin as a consultant and initially require a minimum of 20 hours per week beginning as soon as possible in 2019. The position could increase up to 3/4’s or full time depending upon receipt of additional funding, prior to or by the fall of 2019. Salary range for the position is $20 – $25 per hour depending upon benefits needed and depth of qualifications met for the work.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of at least three references with contact information to [email protected] Applications will be accepted through March 22, 2019.
*USCAN Grant funds will support Ohio Interfaith Power & Light (IPL) in transforming its organizational mission, vision, and programming to strengthen our work towards intersectional justice, inclusivity, anti-racism, and grassroots movement building. Funds will be used to support Ohio IPL’s three (3) grassroots Interfaith Action Teams centered around food, land, and energy justice in frontline communities.
To download this job description, CLICK HERE.